Saturday, January 30, 2010

Untitled because I cannot come up with a title.

Mr. Sam had decided to travel to whatever important event at Rivendell by taking the same route he and Frodo had taken all those many years ago.

I had chosen to go with them. After all, this route would take me to Bree, where Auntie would be waiting. I would, of course, be days late, but I made sure those returning to Bree by a faster path would give her my message: Going to Bree with Mr. Sam, Ruby, and others. Will be late. Much love, and don't forget to milk the cows.

We had been walking for two days. My feet were quite sore; we were going the same speed that Frodo and Mr. Sam had gone on their journey with the Ring. I wondered how they had kept it up for so long.

Ruby was the only one of the many Gamgee children to go. Three Elves (Cupantiel, Ella, and a strange Elf, Marigold) came with us.

They did not frighten me as much as I had exspected to be frightened of such noble, ancient beings.

Marigold said that she had grown up in the Old Forest with Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. She was the kindliest of the Elves; at least, she did not seem so awkward around the rest of the group.

One Elf, Ella, kept giving me looks that I did not quite understand. Strangely enough, her face (which was so beautiful, both young and old) reminded me of the days of my childhood. Which was strange, because I had very vauge memories of my young childhood. After all, it was at least twenty years ago... or was it? Auntie thought I was a Numenorian because I aged so slowly.

Cupitantiel seemed to be lost. She rarely spoke, even to the other Elves. Not that the Elves talked all that much. They kept to themselves, mostly.

Lissi, a human, was known a little to me. She occasionally spent some time at the Gamgee's. But there was another human (who acted much older than she looked... like me), by the name of Miriel. No one knew who she was, but no one had the heart to tell her not to come.

To my great delight, some Hobbits other than Ruby and her father came! Dana, the cook, was sure to fill our stomachs with her knowledge of  food... glorious food. Estelwen was one of the few Hobbits who had lived outside the Shire-- she spent her early childhood in Rivendell. I listened with joy to her memories of that wonderful Elvish place. It seemed so... familiar. In such a strange way.

I wondered if I should ever get to go to Rivendell. Auntie would be upset enough at me taking a long time to return to Bree. She would never let me take the long journey to Rivendell.

Ouch. That was one nasty blister! I leaned on Ruby's head as I adjusted my shoe. She rolled her eyes.

"How far have we come?" I exclaimed.

"Round about thirty miles," said Sam. He brushed the sweat off his white hair. "We are keeping a decent pace... I can't believe how effortless it seemed way back with Mr. Frodo. Oh! Samwise, you fool, you forgot about it? Look, everyone. Look!"

Everyone stopped at his urgent cry. We stared at the tree he was pointing at, confused.

"This is the tree where Frodo, Pip, and I hid during our first encounter with the Black Riders," said Sam. He squinted, remembering. After a moment, he started to hum a cheery tune. "Come, now, all of you! I hope to show you the place where we met the great Elves before nightfall!"


The Fellowship has traveled ~30 miles. We have just gotten off the Road and are near the tree where the original Fellowship hid from the first Black Rider.

Edhelaelwen had gone 49 miles since 1/4/09 and is on the Stock-Brook. The south bank is wet and muddy.

*Note: Please do post! Even if you don't have and idea for a storyline... even if it is merely a sentance about a goose flying overhead or a backpack that spills.

No comments:

Post a Comment