Friday, January 8, 2010

More Preparations

I groaned as Ruby and I splashed into the little pond. We had successfully set off a firework, but had also succeded in burning our arms. My skin tingled as the cold water lapped against it.

"There is an awful lot of Elves around," noted Ruby.

I nodded. Usually only a few Elves attended the Birthday Party. But this year there were close to thirty.

"I think some of them are going to the Grey Havens after the Party," said Ruby. "It is wonderful to see so many Elves, you know they are my favorites. But I wonder why Elrond isn't here. He is very nice."

"Elrond? Nice? Really, Ruby, he is so strict that sometimes--" I cut off as a rustling noise echoed through the reeds. I ran towards the nearest tree, practically dragging Ruby along with me. Had someone discovered that we were the ones to set off the fireworks?

It was Dana the cook.

"I thought you would be 'round here somewhere, Miss Gamgee," she said sternly. Ruby gulped. "I need you to come help me pound the dough." I slowly let my breath out. "You, too, Miss Laelwen," said Dana. Her face filled with a grin. "I have icing left over for you two to lick if you are well-behaved!"

Ruby and I walked off, arms on each other's shoulders. Well, actually, my arm was practically on her head, and her arm was on my hips. But that did not seem the least bit strange to me-- Ruby and I had done it for years. We did get a strange look from a passing Elf, and only then did it occur to me that we must have been a funny sight. I just grinned back at the Elf, then turned my attention towards the sky. Night was falling.

Edhelaelwen has traveled 8 miles since 1/4/10 and is at the first slopes of the Green Hill Country.

1 comment: