Thursday, January 7, 2010

Awaiting the Party

I giggled happily and began humming to myself as I threw my long brown hair into a flower-studded braid. It wasn't every day that Auntie let me go visit the Shire, but today was special. Dear Sam and Rose Gamgee were throwing another birthday party for Bilbo and Frodo. I remembered sitting next to the Gamgee children on cold winter evenings, listening as Mr. Sam told tales of the journey to destroy the One Ring.

"Laelwen, can't you wait until tomorrow? I desperately need to get the bread baked before the Birthday Party!" Auntie's voice traveled up the rickety stairs. I lifted my skirt and waltzed down the dim staircase.

"Auntie, you know that Ruby Gamgee invited me to a sleepover! Besides, I cooked three loaves of bread and a tray of sweets while you were napping."

Auntie grumbled, but I knew she was not as annoyed as she pretended.

"You can come, too, you know. Mrs. Rose would sure love to have someone to help her the evening before the party," I added.

"I can't do that, silly, creaking limbs won't allow."

I thought this comment odd, considering she would be doing the same journey in the morning. Oh, well, Auntie was a bit eccentric. I threw on my shawl, picked up my basket, and pecked her on the cheek.

Old Smith, the metal-smith of Bree, was waiting on the road for me. I hopped into his horse-drawn cart (which was cluttered with barrels full of wonderful trinkets) and watched as Bree disappeared into the distance. Old Smith started chattering about mundane gossip. I closed my eyes and breathed in the fresh air. We would be in the Shire soon enough.

Edhelaelwen has gone 4 miles since 1/4/10 and is at the Shire.

No comments:

Post a Comment