Thursday, January 7, 2010

Party Preparations

I had arrived at Bag End early, the morning before the preparation.  And now, only several hours form the start of the party, it seemed that all of the Shire had turned up for the celebration.  Hobbits ran back and forth, carrying armfuls of decorations and sweet-smelling loaves of bread and brightly colored fireworks.  I loved hobbits.  I liked being taller than someone for once.


I spotted Sam Gamgee dashing across the yard, toting a large assortment of treats.  My mouth began to water.  I headed towards him.  “Want some help, Sam?”


“Lissi--you’re here?  Good.  Glad to see you again.  Would you mind helping?”  Sam held up a basket stuffed with some sort of pastry.


I nodded, scooping up three of the baskets.  “Of course.”


“Bring them to the party grounds, would you?”  Before I could answer, Sam had left, undoubtedly to scold the young hobbits that were tossing fireworks around like balls only a few yards away from me.


“Lissi, catch!”


I whirled around and spotted a ball hurtling towards me at an alarming rate.  I squealed and jumped to the side, narrowly avoiding the sphere and spilling several pastries onto the ground.


Sam’s mischievous daughter, Ruby, was giggling at me.  “Ruby,” I scolded, gathering up the fallen treats, “Look what you’ve made me do!  Don’t do that again.”


Ruby skipped merrily over to me and helped pick up the last pastries.  “Sorry.  Want to play catch?”


“Now now, I’m busy.”  I slipped the baskets onto my arm importantly.  “Later?”


Ruby nodded, her curls bouncing up and down.  I grinned.  Her merry spirit was impossible to resist.  “Can you help me set up the food down at the grounds?”


“O’ course!”  Ruby followed me all the way to the party grounds, where several dozen tables had been set up.


"Expecting a lot of people?" I asked in amazement.


"Oh yes," Ruby said satisfactorily.  "Even elves!  Lissi, how tall are elves?"


I shrugged as I made my way to the largest table to set down my baskets.


Lissi has gone 5 miles since 1/4/10 and is at Brandywine Bridge.

4 comments:

  1. BTW, where can you find the milestones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its on the introduction post.

    EDIT: here it is! http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Tools/Bag_end/bag_end.html
    I'd say that if you haven' *quite* reached the next milestone, stay with the previous milestone. I'm going to find and print some maps... I'll tell you when (if) I find good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the link! So, say we've run 14.5 miles, then do we say that we are at Stock Road?

    ReplyDelete